JBJS Editor-In-Chief (May 2024 Transition Date)
- Needham, Massachusetts
- Apr 17, 2023
- May 31, 2023
- Education & Training, Faculty, General Orthopaedic
(May 2024 Transition Date)
The Editor-in-Chief for The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc. (“JBJS”) and its line of products provides leadership and oversight as the senior editorial executive with responsibility for setting and maintaining publication and product standards for excellence. The JBJS Editor-in-Chief should be Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and possess significant editorial experience in scientific publishing.
The Editor-in-Chief will direct and supervise the Editors of other JBJS products, their Editorial Boards, and related editorial activities. The Editor-in-Chief will direct and supervise the development of all editorial and educational content for JBJS.
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for the scientific, clinical, and other editorial content of JBJS and is responsible for appropriate delegation of Editorial responsibilities, to both in-house editorial staff and contract editors. In concert with the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Trustees, the Editor-in-Chief will participate in strategic and operational planning.
Nature and Scope: Working under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, with the Board of Trustees, and within the by-laws and policies of the organization, the Editor-in-Chief directs and supervises the editorial initiatives of JBJS. The Editor-in-Chief provides valuable input regarding the administrative aspects of the organization.
The Editor-in-Chief will maintain an appropriate level of communication with the Chair of the Board of Trustees, the Chief Executive Officer, and appropriate members of certain committees of the Board of Trustees. The Editor-in-Chief may be asked to perform additional duties as directed by the Chair of the Board of Trustees, the Chief Executive Officer, the Board of Trustees, or its committees.
Additional specific responsibilities of the Editor-in-Chief of JBJS:
- Report to the Chair of the Board of Trustees for editorial responsibilities and be accountable to the Chief Executive Officer for administrative and budgetary responsibilities.
- Maintain a corpus of general orthopaedic knowledge, consistent with that of an Editor-in-Chief and well-respected editors and reviewers. Maintain ABOS certification and actively participate in maintenance of certification (MOC).
- Maintain a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Represent the JBJS actively in the orthopaedic community at large.
- Ensure coordinated activity between JBJS products and editorial leaders.
- Ensure sufficient editorial content exists for all JBJS products.
- Develop innovative features and formats to enhance relevance to the JBJS audience.
- Promote the scientific integrity of the orthopaedic literature related to JBJS products.
- Monitor the JBJS activities and performance of all Deputy Editors, Associate Editors, Reviewers, and Faculty.
- Communicate JBJS policies to ensure that editors and staff treat authors in a fair, respectful, and professional manner, and foster an atmosphere of professionalism and academic excellence.
- Report to the Board of Trustees on a semi-annual basis, with an emphasis on editorial independence and publication and editorial trends influencing the JBJS product line.
Please submit a Letter of Interest and current CV to: email@example.com